This episode is all about multi-business collaborations, including blog hops, multi-designer make-a-longs, and in-person events. I share 4 reasons you might want to participate in such a collaboration, 7 tips for organization a multi-business collaboration, and 5 ways for being an ideal collaborator when you’re not organizing the event.
First, some examples of multi-business collaborative events (online and offline)
I share several examples in the episode, including…
- Wonder Blanket crochet-a-long, organized by @,
- Moogly Afghan crochet-a-long, organized by @
- @ and @ (Listen to my interview with Amy in Episode 31 here),
- @‘s annual blog tour for National Crochet Month, and
- @‘s Yarn and Wine Tasting.
4 reasons you might want to participate in a multi-business collaboration
There are many reasons you may want to participate in such an event, but here are the four major ones:
- Introduce your business to a new audience and expand your reach.
- Network with other businesses and sponsors you may not have access to on your own.
- Earn more money.
- Develop friendships with like-minded business owners.
I share more details about each of these in the episode.
So, are you ready to organize one of these collaborative shindigs?
If so, here are 7 tips for successfully organizing a collaborative event.
- Manage your fear of rejection.
- Decide who’s in charge.
- Choose to curate or have open invitations.
- Get organized.
- Invite and follow up.
- Reach out to sponsors.
- Keep your word and thank your collaborators.
I go into more detail about each tip in the episode.
Hmm, that sounds hard. I’d rather participate than organize.
Here are 6 ways to be an ideal collaborator that gets invited back again and again.
- Join groups.
- Read and follow directions.
- Ask questions if you’re confused or have concerns.
- Communicate, especially about problems or delays.
- Promote the entire event/collaboration, not just your participation in it.
And, for bonus brownie points, offer to help the organizer(s). I share more details on each way in the episode.
- The Creative Yarn Entrepreneur is now on Facebook. Please stop by and like the page here. In addition to podcast episodes, I share links with information that is helpful for small business owners.
- I’ll be part of the Access Your Audience Through Podcasts panel at the #WeAllGrow Summit by Latina Bloggers Connect in Long Beach, California. If you’re attending the Summit from March 3-5, 2016, let me know!
- I’ll be presenting a Podcasting 101 workshop at the Snap Conference for DIY and food bloggers and creators. If you’ll be in Salt Lake City, Utah from April 14-16, 2016, I hope to see you there!
Have you participated in a multi-business collaboration before? What have you learned? Do you plan to collaborate with other businesses in 2016?
Share your comments in the show notes for this episode here, in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group, comment on the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Facebook page, Tweet me at @cyeshow, add me to your G+ circle and send me a note, or leave a message at 646-713-8973.
You can subscribe to the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show on on iTunes or Stitcher. Please leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher and join the mailing list. I’ll let people on the list know in advance about special guests and topics so you can share your questions.