Dedri Uys is the crochet designer, blogger, author, and teacher behind LookAtWhatIMade. I spent some time talking to Dedri and she was incredibly open and generous in sharing how she is able to work a full time job, be a devoted wife and mother, and still find energy and inspiration for her crochet business.
This post contains affiliate links.
About Dedri Uys
Dedri Uys is the crochet blogger, designer and teacher behind LookAtWhatIMade. She is best known as the designer of Sophie’s Universe, a stunning continuous square crochet blanket pattern available as a free, 18-part crochet-a-long. She is the author of Amamani Puzzle Balls and the coordinator/author of Big Hook Rag Crochet. Dedri is also a Scheepjes blogger and recently returned from her native South Africa, where she taught several crochet classes as part of a tour organized by BeInspired.Love. Dedri “believes that crochet is more than just a craft. It is a lifesaving panacea, a necessary creative outlet, a calming tool and a rewarding passion.”
About the Episode
In this episode, I chat with Dedri about her business and we cover many topics including:
- How she started, grew, and diversified her business.
- The benefits and challenges of growing organically, including how she manages looking back on past projects that may not be “perfect.”
- How teaching keeps her energized, even though she was initially nervous about it.
- Working full time in addition to being a crochet designer, and her suggestions for time management, involving others in your business, organization, and caring for your loved ones.
- Building the self-confidence to learn to say no to new opportunities to avoid burnout, stay inspired, and find more time for family, inspired by the C.J. Langenhoven’s quote, “Yes is like credit. No is like cash.”
- Learning to be vulnerable and the difference between guilt and shame from Brené Brown. Dedri especially recommends this interview with Brené on Chase Jarvis Live: Authenticity and Bravery in a Digital World.
Dedri also closes the show with 3 things she wishes she knew when she started her business. Listen to the podcast for more discussion from me and Dedri.
- I’ll be speaking at the Creativation Show (formerly known as the Craft and Hobby Association Mega Show). Will I see you in Phoenix, Arizona from January 19-23, 2017?
- Show your support for the Show! Buy my book, Make Money Teaching Crochet, or shop through the Show’s trusted partners. You can find more information on the Support the Show page.
Share your feedback on this episode!
Did Dedri motivate you to say no to something, let go of disappointment about past projects, or to have a “Look at what I made” moment with your followers? Share your comments below in the show notes for this episode. You can also comment in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group, comment on the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Facebook page, Tweet me at @cyeshow, add me to your G+ circle and send me a note, or leave a message at 646-713-8973. Feel free to ask questions, too, which may be used in an upcoming episode.
You can subscribe to the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show on on Google Play Music, iTunes, Stitcher, or TuneIn. Please leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher and join the mailing list. I’ll let people on the list know in advance about special guests and topics so you can share your questions.
Listen to this episode!